So, we went bowling today. The two games we played gave hope to me. During the first round, I scored the lowest and I didn’t hit any pins most of the time. But during the second round, I scored the highest and I was even able to hit all the pins! 🙂 I just realized something. Relating it to my grades in my Analytic Chemistry, it gave me hope that I’ll get a high grade this Midterms. I know that I’ll have a low grade this Prelims and I’m having a bad feeling that I might not pass that subject. I’m just afraid. I can’t study well. But what happened today really gave me hope, that I can make it. I know I will. I just have to believe in myself, right? I’m also having this thought that maybe it’s just all in my mind. Ever since second sem started, I’ve been so afraid in that subject. I’m always so paranoid that I might get low scores. I got low scores, indeed. I have to tell myself that I can and I will make it. Wish me luck this coming Midterms!
My school, Saint Louis University-Laboratory High School (SLU-LHS), also my second home, is formerly an exclusive school for the boys when it was first established. It became a co-ed school in the early 2000’s in order to increase the dwindling enrolment of the school by accepting girls into its fold.
When I graduated in elementary, particularly at Saint Louis University-Laboratory Elementary School, I felt that I was not yet ready and prepared to face the next chapter of my life, my high school life. I felt scared that maybe life would be very different when I reach high school.
My first day at SLU-LHS was full of mixed emotions. On one hand, I was nervous because I’ll be going into a new school everyday and I haven’t seen my best friends for a quite some time. I was worried, too, that maybe they have already put me into oblivion since we weren’t in touch during the summer vacation then. On the other hand, I was excited to meet new faces in our school. I was very excited to know my section and who would be my classmates.
Three years have passed since my freshman year, and I am now a junior student of this school. Whew, how time flew so quickly! I have experienced a lot in my three years here in high school. Another year to hurdle high school life and presto! I would be stepping another chapter of my life.
What I like about our school is the varied activities that we celebrate that promote the four core values of our school such as:
- Celebration of the first Friday mass every first Friday of the month.
- Annual recollections that helps us contemplate on our lives and in the process helped in improving ourselves.
- Celebration of Buwan ng Wika in August where a day is devoted to wearing of the Filipiniana attire and during our Filipino class, we hold a small salo-salo or what we call ‘kapistahan’ inside our classroom.
- Celebration of the Math and Science Month in September where we have different quiz bees. The part that I like the most is the jingle competition. In my freshman year, I joined in a group that eventually won. In my third year, unfortunately our group did not win. Though we didn’t win, at least we did our best. Another thing is, for us, nothing was lost or wasted because we enjoyed our practices and for us, we will always be champions.
- Celebration of the Mission month in the month of October, LHS being a Catholic school. During the month of October, we pray one mystery of the rosary everyday.
- Another event that is being celebrated by our school is the Intramurals. I think that this is the most awaited and the biggest event in our school because it lasts for more than two weeks. It promotes the four core values of our school which is creativity, competence, socially involvement and Christian spirit. During the past years, we followed the unitized system where the different year levels are grouped together to form a team. This year, we made our cheering competition per batch. I think that the unitized system is fun because we can see the unity of the different year levels but I like the ‘per batch system‘ more because we can really see the teamwork of each team and we also have our own class teams.
- Come December, there are lots of activities in our school. We have different programs in our school like Sayawit. It’s much like a cheering competition. We also wear costumes and props, the only difference is that we sing Christmas songs. We started this event last year and it was a success so we’ll be doing this again for the next years to come. What I’m waiting for every year is our Christmas vacation because this is the happiest time of my life the whole year.
- A new event that was launched by our school is the Talent Festival. This event gives us a chance to showcase our talents.
- In February, we celebrate Family Day. These past years, this occasion has been very memorable. In the morning, we have a short mass and then, we’re free to roam around the campus. There are different booths organized by our clubs. In the afternoon, we watch a show or a play in the covered court. This event is really fun because we get to do whatever we want and there are fun booths around the campus.
These are what makes my high school life wonderful, the different fun activities and events held in our school. These help us nurture our talents and helps us to grow and become better individuals. Through these activities, we can put into action the four core values of creativity, competence, socially involvement and Christian spirit.
I soon realized that high school isn’t something to be worried about. It is something to be remembered, to be loved and to be treasured because everyday of our life is important. It is filled with wonderful surprises. High school isn’t just about academics: calculations, memorizations, examinations and all. Problems and challenges are given to us to make us learn and make us better and stronger persons and that is what high school taught me. High school taught me how to love. It taught me how to love my life, my family, my friends and everything more. During my three years in high school, I experienced sadness and I often encounter tough problems but I also experienced great happiness. All these, I have experienced in SLU-LHS, my home, my school. 🙂
When I was in grade five or six, I thought my whole life would be different when I reach high school. I thought everyone will change. I was worried about everything. I was worried about the changes that would happen. I thought that all the fun, naughtiness, and bonding of the class won’t be the same as before but I was totally wrong. When you’re in high school, everything is more fun, there is more naughtiness and the class have a stronger bonding. There are more fun activities and more socializing. When you’re in high school, it’s like you have all the freedom, you have your own worlds. I can say that so far, high school is the happiest time of my life. Ate Beth, my cousin, said that I should enjoy high school because I’m going to miss the fun and stuff when I reach college. Even though school is stressful, I always sleep late at night, the lessons are boring and hard at times, the activities and challenges are hard, high school is still fun. I really enjoy going to school. I enjoy learning new stuffs. I hope that this will be a wonderful school year for all of us.
I had a wonderful and unforgettable school year during second year. Ma’am Flores was our adviser. What I like about her is she’s strict but hilarious and she changes our seat plan every two weeks. That made our class’ bonding stronger. Every two weeks, I‘ll have new seatmates. I became close to them and that’s how Gia, Charlyn, Karla, Nicolle, Cheyenne, and Raniel became great friends of mine. Gia Monique was my first friend that school year. Until now, she’s my close friend. Although I don’t join her during my free time, I still keep in touch with her so that we won’t lose connection with each other. Charlyn, Nicolle and Raniel are my classmates at present and they’re still my best friends. Karla is not our classmate but she still joins us every lunch and recess. Cheyenne found new friends but we still keep in touch with each other. I’m so happy that I met them. I just hope that nothing will destroy our friendship as time pass by because many things have already changed.
I believe that during high school, having a crush is common for everyone. Last year, I also met someone who became close to my heart. When we change our seat plan, he was often seated near me and he became my seatmate during the last seat plan because they requested that the love teams in the class be seatmates. They say that he is kinda boastful but for me, he is really kind. He is sometimes cheesy but his jokes make me laugh. He said to me once, “Leanne, anong gusto mong gift?” “Kahit ano. Chocolate!” “You want a chocolate? You want a chocolate heart? You want my heart?” When he said these lines to me, he wasn’t my crush yet but when I fell in love with him, I never forgot these lines ever since. What I just hate is my friends told him that I like him. I had no plans of telling him how I feel because I’ve had experiences before that I don’t want to happen again. Everything changed when he knew that I liked him. He became boastful towards me. But now, everything is okay; however, we don’t talk with each other. For now, he’ll remain as my friend but he won’t be my priority because I prioritize my studies more than love.
At present, second year is the best school year for me because many unforgettable events happened that school year but I’m beginning to love my current class, 3-Mapagmalasakit. A recent event in our school, the Math and Science Jingle Competition, made us closer to each other. Although we didn’t win, we accepted our defeat gracefully because I know we did our very best in this competition. The next event in our school is the intramurals that will be held on October. We promised ourselves that we will make up to our defeat this time.
I’m still young yet I learned so much about life through my experiences as a teenager. I became to know myself more, I learned to take care of my friends more, I learned to control my emotions, and most of all, I learned how to love and cherish life. Nothing is permanent in life except change. Change has always been a part of our lives. I hope that the changes that will come soon will bring about good changes in my life. So far, high school is the best part of my life.